South Carolina Spine Center
Recognizing the national trend toward a Center of Excellence approach for complex health problems, South Carolina Spine Center was created by Self Regional Hospital to improve the way we care for back and neck pain. We have in one location spine surgeons, non-surgical spine specialists, spine therapists, exercise gym, pool, x-rays, MRI, injection suite and the most advanced operating room environment.
- Multidisciplinary team of spine specialists working together under one roof, emphasizing nonsurgical options.
- Two board-certified neurological surgeons who are fellowship-trained in spine surgery
- Two board-certified physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians
- Internal exercise gym and spine specialized therapists
- All the necessary diagnostic testing on site, from X-ray to MRI
- Proficient in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- On site iCT BrainSuite®, the first of its kind in the Southeast and only the fourth in the nation. This surgical navigation system integrates 3-D images from a CT scanner in the operating room with real time guidance of instrumentation.
“Dr. Kilburn has taken care of me through one of the most difficult health storms of my life. He has been diligent and up front with every step of my care. He has shown kindness, concern and genuinely listened to me. I’m truly blessed to have such a good man and outstanding physician in my corner. I cannot thank him enough.”
About South Carolina Spine Center
Residents across South Carolina or North Carolina who suffer from an attack of back or neck pain often travel to many cities and clinics in their quest for relief of pain symptoms. Along the way, they can receive treatments, diagnostic studies, contradictory advice and treatment that is often way too aggressive for the symptoms they display.
South Carolina Spine Center recognizes the national trend in spine care is to take a Center of Excellence approach, with a multidisciplinary team of spine specialists working together under one roof, emphasizing nonsurgical options.
South Carolina Spine Center is located in Greenwood, SC and includes the expertise of:
- Dr. Karl Boellert, a board-certified physical medicine and rehabilitation physician who is fellowship-trained in spinal injections who specializes in non-surgical care of back and neck pain.
- Dr. Mathew Gowans, a physical medicine and rehabilitation physician who specializes in non-surgical care of back and neck pain.
- Michael Kilburn, MD, a board-certified neurological surgeon who is fellowship-trained in spine surgery.
- Sumeer Lal, MD, a board-certified neurological surgeon who is fellowship-trained in spine surgery.
Fellowship-training is the highest level of medical education possible. A fellowship in spine means that the specialist has done an additional year of training in a spine center environment learning the most advanced methods of spine care.
Within the same building are spine therapists who help many patients back to activity without surgery. These spine therapists have an internal exercise gym where patients learn specialized stretches to reduce pain symptoms and strengthen the back and neck to make it more flexible and resistant to future strain. This addresses the prevention aspect of the treatment process to reduce future back strain and injury.
All the necessary diagnostic testing from x-rays to MRI, and non-operative treatment is provided at the same location. This is a welcome alternative to the typical fragmented approach to spine care, and eliminates the need for multiple referrals, delayed care, driving around town — and confusion and miscommunication among the specialists involved.
Physicians of South Carolina Spine Center
South Carolina Spine Center Locations
Greenwood Location 115 Academy Avenue Greenwood, S.C. 29646
115 Academy Avenue
Greenwood, S.C. 29646